For many, privatisation and commercialisation is simply a massive fire sale of government assets by the National Council on Privatisation (NCP) and its implementation arm, the Bureau of Public Enterprises (BPE).
Let Numbers Talk
To be the model reform agency
- To be a responsible and disciplined public enterprise reform agency
- To be the national resource centre for capacity building and sustenance of reforms through:
Experience worldwide has shown that Public Enterprises (PEs) have failed to live up to expectations. They consume a large proportion of national resources without commensurate performance and service delivery. More importantly, they fail to allocate these resources efficiently. In Nigeria for instance, PEs, before the introduction of privatization, used to consume a large portion of national resources amounting to over $3 billion annually, by way of grants, subsidies, import duty waivers and tax exemptions. The huge burden that PEs impose on the economy had become untenable, unbearable and unsustainable, hence the justification for their privatization.
- Carry out public sector reform for maximum and efficient allocation of resources
- Prepare public enterprises for privatisation and/or commercialisation
- Sale of shares of public enterprise to be privatised by the issuing houses, in accordance with approved guidelines
- Engage the services of consultants, advisers, investment bankers, issuing houses, stockbrokers, solicitors, trustees, accountants, and other professionals required for the purpose of privatisation
Units Financial, Development Institutions and Capital Market Media and Communications Information Technology Industries and Commerce CORE DUTIES Industries & Services Department is entrusted with the responsibility of reforming non-performing Public Enterprises (PEs) for optimal performance, which includes: Reforming, Restructuring, deregulation, and Privatisation Programme in the Communications Sector in Nigeria. Divestment and Privatization of Federal Government …
The Bureau of Public Enterprises is led and managed by passionate professionals. Our team is well equipped and sufficiently ready to produce positive results. Meet the Team