INVITATION FOR EXPRESSION OF INTEREST (EOI) FOR THE PROVISION OF ADVISORY SERVICES FOR THE CONCESSION OF THE 1,650 MW MAKURDI HYDRO POWER PLANT (MHPP),A GREEN FIELD HYDROPOWER PLANT LOCATED IN BENUE STATE, NIGERIA.
INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO MAKE PAYMENT OF NON-REFUNDABLE BIDDING FEES TO BPE
- Visit https://login.remita.net to generate a Remita Retrieval Reference (RRR) number with which you can process the payment.
- Filling the field “Who do you want to pay”, select ‘Bureau of Public Enterprises
- Filling the field ” Name of Service /Purpose” Select ‘Refund’
- Filling the filed ” Description” state ‘Expression of interest for the provision of advisory services for Markurdi Hydro Power Project’
- Complete the rest of the form, and process payment (of the Naira equivalent of USD2,500 at the ruling Central Bank of Nigeria exchange rate on the day of payment)
- Generate and print a hard copy of the e-receipt and enclose the same in your bid submission as evidence of non-refundable fee.
In furtherance of its programmes aimed at boosting electricity service provision in Nigeria through the direct participation of the private sector, the Federal Government of Nigeria (FGN), through the National Council on Privatisation (NCP) and the Bureau of Public Enterprises (BPE), hereby invites “Expressions of Interest” from prospective technical advisers to provide transaction advisory services for the procurement of a Concessionaire for the Makurdi Hydro Power Plant (MHPP), a 1,650 Mega Watts greenfield plant through a Swiss Challenge method of procuring an unsolicited project in Public-Private-Partnership (PPP) field .
- BRIEF ON MHPP
The proposed MHPP is an unsolicited project that was initiated by a private proponent, who has carried out a feasibility study on the project and developed an Outline Business Case (OBC) that has been approved by the Infrastructure Concession Regulatory Commission (ICRC), the statutory regulatory agency for concessions in Nigeria. The proposed MHPP has a mean annual energy generation capacity of about 8,672GWh per annum.
The Transaction Advisory Service provider will evaluate the present status of the MHPP and provide all necessary technical assistance to the FGN through the BPE and its various committees (Project Delivery Team (PDT) and Project Steering Committee (PSC)) in relation to the successful concession of the MHPP. The Technical Adviser (TA) will in addition to taking all necessary steps to ensure a successful conclusion of the transaction, specifically undertake the following tasks:
a. Carry out a detailed review of the Outline Business Case (OBC) of the MHPP, assess the value for money and other baseline parameters and provide necessary advice on steps to be taken to procure the project successfully;
b. Review all relevant laws, regulations, and policies that could impact the successful concession of the MHPP;
c. Develop detailed concession plans for the MHPP along the lines of the strategic concession criteria determined by the PSC and the NCP;
d. Conduct the bidding and concession marketing and processes necessary for attracting and maximising private sector participation in the concession of the MHPP;
e. Propose a transaction structure that will be acceptable to the government and attract private interest;
f. Conduct a ‘Swiss Challenge’ competitive procurement process using a two (2) stage approach of Request for Qualification (RfQ) and Request for Proposals (RfP);
g. Develop a Financial Model (FM) and also evaluate the fiscal affordability of the project;
h. Develop a detailed concession agreement document, and a Contract Management Tool (CMT) for the MHPP that will be of World Bank (WB) standard;
i. Prepare a Full Business Case (FBC) document;
j. Develop a contract management manual for the project; and
k. Develop post-concession exit strategy options for the enterprise.
- METHOD OF APPLICATION:
Interested firms should indicate their interest by providing the following documentation and information:
a) Full name of company, postal addresses and contact persons, telephone and e-mail addresses.
b) Evidence of registration with the Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC) by submission of Certificate of Incorporation including forms CAC2 and CAC7 or CAC form 1;
c) Evidence of 2021 Pension Compliance Certificate;
d) Evidence of 2021 Industrial Training Fund (ITF) Compliance Certificate;
e) Evidence of 2021 Nigeria Social Insurance Trust Fund (NSITF) Compliance Certificate; and
f) Evidence of tax payment in Nigeria (2019, 2020 and 2021).
g) Financial Information:
Submission of Audited or Management Accounts for 2019, 2020 and 2021.
a) Full name of company and contact person, postal address, telephone/GSM numbers and e-mail addresses;
b) Evidence of company registration in home country; and
c) Evidence of tax payment in home country (2019, 2020 and 2021).
- TECHNICAL & OPERATIONAL CAPACITIES:
➢ BPE requires that all firms responding to this request for expression of interest to have at least ten (10) years of relevant experience in advisory capacity (could be in concession or privatisation (either at the sell or buy side) etc);
• Proof of capabilities (with documentary evidence) specifically in carrying out the concession of a large hydroelectric power plant indicating number of years of experience and list of relevant transactions handled. This includes previous work on similar projects (preferably a greenfield PPP concession of a hydropower dam project) in developing countries within the past ten (10) years;
• Proof of Alliances/Partnerships;
• Names and Curricula Vitae of Firm/Consortium’s executives who will be assigned to the services being applied for, including verifiable individual qualification and experience in similar assignments within the last ten (10) years; and
- A brief intended approach to assignment (work plan and proposed timeline).
- SUBMISSION OF EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST (EOI)
Expressions of Interest, which should be well formatted and paginated, must be submitted in one original and Five (5) copies with one e-copy (in a flash drive) in a sealed package clearly marked “(Expression of Interest: TA for the Concession of Makurdi Hydro Power Plant)” and addressed and delivered not later than 5pm (17.00 hours) Nigeria Time on Wednesday, February 8, 2023, to:
Mr.Alex A. Okoh
The Director General
Bureau of Public Enterprises
11 Osun, Crescent, Off Ibrahim Babangida Way,
For enquiries: please contact:
Sutura Aisha Bello
Director, Infrastructure & PPP Department
Phone: +234-(09)-94604450, +234-706 7875032.
Late submissions will be rejected.
- i. Failure to provide the requested information in full will render an application non-responsive and invalid.
- ii. Submission of Expressions of Interest shall be accompanied by evidence of payment of the Naira equivalent (at the prevailing official exchange rate on the day of payment) of US$2,500 non-refundable fee payable to the Bureau of Public Enterprises.
- iii. Visit the official website of the Bureau (www.bpe.gov.ng) for the instructions on how to pay the non-refundable fee
Please note that only shortlisted firms will be contacted.