FEDERALREPUBLIC OF NIGERIA
NATIONAL COUNCIL ON PRIVATISATION
Secretariat: Bureau of Public Enterprises
REQUEST FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST
INVITATION FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST FOR THE PUBLIC BIDDING OF NIGERIAN COAL CORPORATION (NCC) FIVE (5) COAL BLOCKS
- The Bureau of Public Enterprises (BPE) hereby invites prospective investors to express interest to Publicly Bid for any of the five (5) Nigerian Coal Corporation (NCC) Coal Blocks, Enugu “AS IS”.
- The Nigerian Coal Corporation (NCC) was established in 1950 under the coal ordinance No. 20, it had the exclusive rights to mine coal in Nigeria until 1999, when the federal government of Nigeria established a policy and legislation that de-regulated mineral exploration and exploitation. This opened the sector to private industry participation and resulted in entering into joint ventures on an equity participation basis. The Federal Government of Nigeria (FGN) is currently divesting from all of its operating interests in the sector.
- The Bureau of Public Enterprises, in pursuant of the FGN economic policy at diversification and improved economy, commenced the reform of NCC by advertising the 9 available coal blocks. While 3 of the coal blocks (Ogboyega North, Ogboyega South and Okaba) were successfully taken, one of the coal blocks is currently on a pilot project on coal to power by the Ministry of Mines and Steel Development (MMSD).
- The remaining 5 are being prepared and are subject to this advertisement.
- The following coal properties wholly owned and developed by NCC will be offered for Public Bidding on “AS IS” basis to prospective investors through a competitive bidding process. The Coal properties are as follows:
- Amasiodo Coal Block
- Onyeama Coal Block
- Okpara Coal Block
- Inyi Coal Block
- Agwasi- Azagba Coal Block
- Applicants are expected to be domestic/international investors (s) or groups with proven track records in ownership, financial capability, technical competence in the exploration and or mining industry.
- in order to be prequalified the prospective investor must possess verifiable evidence of technical, managerial and financial capability to own and manage the core properties. This include but not limited to the following:
- Record of successful investment and technical management in coal exploration and mining.
- Record of managing mining operations that successfully balance relevant externalities like community relations and the environment, and;
- The requisite financial resources.
- Method of Application – Prospective Bidders should register their interest in writing on the company letterhead duly signed by the authorized person. The original should be submitted in person or mailed to BPE address. The interest letter should also include at least the following information: a)Full name of the Prospective Investor postal/contact address, telephone/mobile, e-mail and contact person. b)A description of main business activity. c)Record of successful investment and technical management in coal exploration and mining. Record of managing mining operations that successfully balance relevant externalities like community relations and the environment, and; The requisite financial resources.
Prospective Bidders will be issued a Pre-Qualification Instructions and Criteria document as well as an abridged Information Memorandum. Such interested bidders are requested to contact the Bureau through this email; IAyewoh@bpe.gov.ng.
- Method of Submission of Expression of Interest:
An original and five (5) other printed copies of Expression of Interest and one digital copy in PDF format stored on a readable digital media, contained in one sealed envelope and the cover of the envelope clearly marked “EOI FOR THE PUBLIC BIDDING OF (COAL BLOCK NAME)” not later than 15th May 2023 by 1.00pm Local time with the name of the Prospective Investor to the under mentioned name and address.
Mr. Alex A. Okoh
Bureau of Public Enterprises
11 Osun Crescent, Off IBB Way
Maitama, Abuja – Nigeria
Attention: Mr. Ignatius O. Ayewoh
Director, Agriculture & Natural Resources
- Submissions made by e-mail and or late submissions will be rejected.
- Upon receipt of Expressions of Interest from Prospective Bidders, BPE and other stakeholders shall evaluate and pre-qualify bidders. Only short-listed Bidders will be contacted.
- Thereafter, pre-qualified Prospective Investors will be issued a Request for Proposal (RFP) and other Bidding Documents upon the payment of non-refundable fee of USD$2,000 OR its NAIRA (CBN Rate) Equivalent into the Bureau of Public Enterprises (BPE) Treasury Single Account (TSA) at the prevailing Central Bank of Nigeria Exchange Rate.
- Further clarifications or inquiries should be addressed in writing to Ignatius O. Ayewoh (as above)
- DISCLAIMER: This Invitation for Expression of Interest does not in any manner constitute an agreement or an offer of the NCC Coal Block(s) to Prospective Investor(s). BPE shall not be responsible for the cost of any submission. All submissions shall be at the cost of the Prospective Bidders. BPE reserves the right to accept or reject any submission.